In the modern information age, even shoe workshop promotion is tricky to compete for customers without the presence on the Internet. But not every business owner decided to create a website due to expensiveness or don’t know how to make a website. However, there is a solution.
Most of my users asked me to write a step by step guide on how to make a website. So, in this article, you’ll learn how to create a website on WordPress and I will try to give all the possible answers to their questions like how to make a website using wordpress, how to build a website with WordPress, how to install theme, how to use WordPress, how to customize a theme, how to install a plugin etc. Making yourself the qualitative and functional Internet resource is suitable for attracting and converting traffic.
If you know how to deal with such tools, you should go exactly for a website on WordPress.
First question will rise on our mind is here:
What is WordPress and why we use it
WordPress is the most popular content management system (CMS). According to Web Technology Surveys on this engine, as of last year 23.8% of the total number of existing websites are based on it and 60.4% of remaining websites are using different CMS. This is the brief introduction and answer to the question what is wordpress.
Listed below are the main reasons for the popularity of WordPress:
• Free Engine: CMS WordPress is distributed under an open license agreement (GNU GPL). You can freely use this product for any purpose you want, including commercial use.
• Virtually Unlimited Possibilities. Using WordPress you can make a personal blog, corporate website, online shop, information portal, resource industry and multimedia gallery.
If you think that WordPress is only suitable for personal blogs? You are mistaken. WordPress is used by most popular websites like The New Yorker, Reuters, TechCrunch, the Republican party United States, the Fortune and many other large media corporations and organizations.
• Customized Appearance and Behavior. Website owners on WordPress can avail both free and paid templates that you can use to customize the external resource.
And with the help of plugins you can solve technical problems, it provides the necessary functionality for the website.
• Ease of Administration. To work with WordPress, you do not need special skills. How to work with the “WordPress” is understandable even for beginners.
• The Ability to Build a Website. Publish content within 5 minutes. Of course, you have to spend a lot of time to turn formulaic product into something new and interesting. But on first publication it will take you no more than 5 minutes.
Well, have decided to make a website on WordPress?
For your convenience, the information in it is merged into the following sections:
1. How to choose web hosting and register a domain
2. How to install WordPress
3. How to install theme on wordpress
4. How to use WordPress CMS
5. A basic set of plugins for WordPress: how to install a plugin
6. How do I add Google Analytics tracking code
7. How to publish a posts/page/content
How to Choose Web Hosting and Register a Domain
If you have a non-commercial project, choose free Web hosting. For example, share your photos with the world or keep a diary of your work on the WordPress platform.
In this case, your URL will look like this: bbc.wordpress.com. (Read it in detail about how to develop a blog on WordPress)
If you are implementing a commercial project, for example, create a theme blog, corporate website or plan to make using the resource in any way. Choose the paid hosting.
Not keep keep your head busy examining and comparing the technical characteristics of the hosting, for example, the size of disk space, downloading channel, bandwidth etc believe me, in the first months and year of the existence of your website to work properly, you will have enough requirements that some average hosting provider is offering you.
Therefore, contact the Sales Department of a reliable company that provides hosting services, describe your needs and then with the help of a consultant choose a suitable tariff plan.
To choose a reliable hosting provider, review ratings and companies reviews by searching using google or you can read our guide on how to choose web hosting. If you don’t have time for this, use the services of one of the following companies:
• Dream Host
The hosting company will also help you for domain’s registration. It is not enough only to come up with a domain name, make sure that it’s free or paid.
How to Make sure that the Chosen Domain name is Free or Paid
The following guidelines will help you choose a good domain name:
• Choose a domain name, partially or completely the same as you think the name of the business or brand. For example you want to promote your pizza business and your brand name is “setpizza”, then you should choose your domain name such as pizza.com (partial match) or setpizza.com (exact match).
• Use the shortest possible domain name. It is difficult for smartphone owners to enter a long address in the browser.
• Make sure that the selected website address is easy to remember and it makes sense.
How to install WordPress
After the purchase of hosting and domain name registration, you can install WordPress.
(Note: some hosting providers offer plans with pre-installed WordPress CMS. If you choose one of them, go to the next step of the Guide. If you have purchased Web hosting without the WordPress, follow the instructions:)
• Go to your cpanel account provided by hosting provider and find out the “Softaculous” and click on it. In my case there is the software with the name “site software”. If your hosting provider not provide any software for wordpress installation than you have to install wordpress munally via ftp.
• My hosting provider has already been installed wordpress software so just click on WordPress.
• Now fill all the information.
• Remove the directory “wordpress” from the “installation url”.
• Now Hit on Submit button.
If you did everything correctly, your wordpress has been installed which you can access by going “yourdomain.com/wp-admin”.
(Note : If you want to install wordpress on localhost check this guide)
How to choose Theme for WordPress
Template or WordPress theme is responsible for the appearance functionality of the resource. In other words, using the themes you can customize website on a standard engine.
Follow the Questions and its Answers while choosing Theme:
• What template is better to choose? A typical or Adaptive? If you intend to create a mobile version of the website, be sure to choose a template with an adaptive layout. Due to this, your website will be mobile-friendly.
• Is it better to choose free or paid theme? If you are just starting to work with WordPress, it’s better to choose a paid template. The paid theme usually get updates by the developers regularly, as well as information support.
• Where to find the Template? Google knows where the WordPress themes are exists. On the page of SERP (search engine result pages) you will see many directories of topics. You can search for templates on various grounds: subjects, properties, design style, color, etc. for example, you can choose the appropriate Adaptive template.
How to install WordPress Theme
• Download the theme from the developer’s site.
• From Administrative Panel select “Appearance – > Theme.
• Click on “Add New”.
• On the installation page, specify the path to the distribution files. Click “Install”.
• Activate the theme. Go to “Appearance – > Theme, select the template you want and then click the” activate “button.
You have installed and activated your favorite template. Now start to configure the WordPress and theme.
How to Setup/Customize WordPress Theme
At this point, you need to pay attention to basic content management system settings that are available without installing additional plugins. You should also configure the theme.
Setting Up WordPress CMS
Log in to WordPress Administration Panel and click the “Settings” menu. Enter the necessary data in each section:
• In the General section. Specify the name and a short description of your website. This information will be displayed to users. In the fields “Address” and “WordPress site address”, specify the URL of your website.
Select the time zone, date format, language of the site. Leave the field empty “membership”, as in the first phase of resource development on it. It will register only bots and malicious users.
• Writing Section : Select the options you want. At the beginning of the work default settings are suitable, formatting of the main headings and posts format. If you want to publish your notes via email, enter the required information: server address, port, login and password. But for novices it is better to publish posts in the Administrative Panel of WordPress.
Be sure to include at least one reliable tracking service for updates in the section “Update Services”. In this case, the WordPress will automatically notify to search engines about the publication of new materials. For example, select Tools http://rpc.pingomatic.com/. Save your changes.
• Read Section : Specify that you want to appear on the main page of the website. If you create a blog then your home page should be filled with recent posts. As an example, a famous marketing blog Abdul Raheem.
If you make a website using wordpress with static pages, then on the home page appear a single page. In this case, create a static page “Blog”, which will display the posts.
Specify the number of posts to display on a single page and in RSS feeds. If you don’t want to search engines from indexing your site for some reason, check the appropriate box.
• Discussion : in the section select the appropriate options. In most cases, the default settings are suitable for you. Pay attention to the fields of the “Moderate comments” and “Black list”.
You can specify the grounds on which comments will be queued before publication to moderation or will be in the list of “spam”.
• In the section of “Media” leave the default settings.
• In the section “permalinks” select the best link structure of your website.
For example, the reference may include the title of the post and the date of publication or only the title of the post. You can also add prefixes for the category links.
Remember that each template has its own settings. Choose the best suitable options from theme setting. The following setting is of my theme that i have used while making this guide.
From WordPress Admin Panel select Appearance – > Customize. Start to configure:
• In the section Title, Tagline & logo, add a title and a short description of your site.
• In the Main section of the Slider you can choose the settings slider. Don’t waste your time on it. It is better not to use the slider at all. First, it makes your site more difficult. Secondly, it is considered to be an element, unfriendly to mobile devices.
• Section Design & Layout you can customize the appearance and layout of the website. You can choose to display the blog posts in one, two or three columns. Also you have the possibility to choose the width of the sidebar, or you can disable the sidebar for some or all pages.
You can also use user-defined stylesheet and specify arbitrary information in the footer.
• In the colors section, click the background color of the title and a brief description of the site.
• Google Web Fonts section, you can select Internet fonts from Google.
• The Social Icons indicate links to your profiles on social networks.
• Under “header image” and “background image” you can download and select the appropriate photo.
Skip the sections “Widgets” and “Static home page. Static page you’ve already set up and configure best widgets in the theme menu.
How to use Widgets in WordPress
To do this, select the section “Appearance – > Widgets. In the left part of the screen you can see the available widgets. Drag the required items in the sidebar or footer of the website by drag-and-drop.
Configure widgets and save your changes.
(Note: Do not overload the Sidebar widgets. Leave only that ones users actually need.)
How to Configure Website menu in WordPress
In the section “Appearance – > Menu” configure your website menu. Stick to this algorithm:
• Enter the Name of the menu and then click “Create menu”.
• Add the desired top-level page on the menu.
• In the settings page, select the link text that will appear in the menu.
• Specify the location of your menu.
Solve Practical Problems using Plugins for WordPress
Plugins is hardly the most dangerous disease for beginner website owners on WordPress.
To successfully develop a website, use the plugins with caution, unknown source for downloading plugin can cause different errors. Read in detail here common wordpress errors. Install plugins only when you want to have additional functionality or to solve a specific task.
Using plugins, you can perform the following tasks:
• Ensuring the security of the website.
• The fight against spam.
• Technical resource optimization in accordance with the requirements of search engines.
• Improve the functionality and usability.
How to use Plugins to Ensure the Security of a Website on WordPress
Your website is exposed to two global threats. The first is you yourself. The pursuit of excellence and innovation can make you go for risky experiments with the code and programs that may lead to data loss.
Guard against this, you can use the plugins, creating backups of the website.
The second threat is unauthorized access to a resource. Malicious users might try to access your site to install malicious code or just steal it.
To perform regular backups of the website, use one of the following plugins:
• WP Backup Bank
• UpdraftPlus Backup and Restoration
How to Install a Plugin & How to take Backup
To install the selected plugin, go to the menu “Plugins – > Add new. Enter the name of the plugin (WP DB Backup) in the search box in the upper right corner and press ENTER.
Also you can download the plugin from the developer’s website and install it by using the “upload plugin” at the top of the screen, the Administrative Panel.
Looking for the correct and required plugin and Click “install plugin”.
After installation, activate the plugin.
Now you can configure backup options. Here you can get step by step information about how to install a plugin in WordPress.
Choose Tools -> Backup
In the section “Table settings” tick “exclude spam comments”. Under “backup settings” select the method for saving the file.
For example, you can get it at your e-mail address. In the section “Schedule backup”, select backup frequency. At the first stage of development of the resource, you can do a backup once a week.
To protect the website from unauthorized access, use one of the plugins:
• IP Whitelist For Limit Login Attempts checkbox
• Limit Login Attempts checkbox, Jeb
• Limit Login Attempts checkbox
• iThemes Security
• Simple Security Firewall
For example, install and activate Login Attempts checkbox Limit Jeb. This plugin will block the IP of the attacker for 30 minutes after three unsuccessful attempts to log in to the Administrative Panel of wordpress.
So you protect yourself from hacker: hacking website by guessing the password of your new build website on wordpress..
How to Fight against Spam using WordPress Plugins
Don’t be surprised, if immediately after the registration of the website it will appear the comments with advertising viagra and machine tools for metal cutting.
Spam-bots never sleeps. Basic protection from them provides the correct engine setting. And you can create additional strengthening using plugins.
Follow some of the plugin for spam protection:
• Antispam Bee
• Antispam by Clean Talk (the call is charged)
Here we will use akismet. Install it and activate the plugin.
How to Activate Akismet
Click on the highlighted marked on the link to get the API key.
On the page that opens enter your registration details. Select the appropriate tariff. You can read the detail about how to activate Akismet using API here.
After completing the registration click the Continue button, copy the code and paste it in the appropriate box on the settings page of the plugin.
How to use plugins to optimize your website in WordPress in accordance with the requirements of search engines.
Using SEO plugins you can ensure the technical requirements with respect to search engines.
In particular, additional modules can solve the following tasks:
• Creating and updating sitemaps
• URL Canonicalization
• Optimization of Meta Titles
• Automatic generation of meta-data pages
• Blocking indexing of duplicate content
To create a Sitemap, use one of the following plugins:
• Google XML Sitemaps
• Simple WP Sitemap
• Google Sitemap
Install and activate the selected plugin, for example, Google XML Sitemap. To configure the plugin, go to settings -> XML Sitemap.
it is best to leave the default settings for New webmasters. After activating the plugin create the sitemap and added its address in the robots.txt file to notify the search engines about updates resource.
If you consider yourself an experienced webmaster, you can change the settings of the plugin.
In the section “additional pages” you can manually include in sitemap URLs that were not included into it automatically.
In the section “Post Priority” define how calculated priority indexing content. Under “Change frequency” and “priorities” you can recommend Search bots to the highest priority in your opinion for content types.
For technical optimization or SEO of the resource, use one of the following plugins:
• All in One SEO Pack
• WordPress SEO by Yoast
• Platinum SEO Pack
Install and activate the selected plugin, for example, All in One SEO Pack. Use default settings if you are just getting started with WordPress.
Best Configuration of All in One SEO Pack
If you consider yourself an advanced webmaster, you can change some settings of the SEO module.
Note the following settings:
• In the section “General settings”, clear the check box next to Use Schema.org Markup. You intend to mark up the page by using a separate plugin.
• If you use the home page of posts, the settings section of the main page (homepage), specify the title, description and keywords. If the master uses a static page, check the box to “enable” it.
In the section “settings for webmasters” specify the verification code in the Resource for webmasters Google.
To do this, add your website to google search console . Login to google account and go to webmaster. Add new property, click the alternate methods of verification. Copy the part of the HTML shown on highlighted area.
Paste it in the “Google Webmaster Tools” in the plugin settings page.
Save plugin options. In the tab for webmasters then click “confirm”.
For the layout of the pages, use one of the following plugins:
• Schema Creator by Raven
• Itemprop WP for SERP/SEO
• Google SEO Pressor for Rich Snippets
Install and activate the selected plugin. Newcomers better pay attention to the Schema by the Creator Raven. Now you can mark up the page when creating new publications. For this new post in edit mode use the menu Add Schema.
Select the appropriate type of markup. In the above example this is the type of Recipe.
For example we choose the type of markup “recipe”
In the menu that opens, specify the required information. For markup type “recipe”you can specify the name and the author’s dishes, when you publish a link to photo and description, publication date, cooking time, calories, fat, sugar and sodium, ingredients, as well as the cooking process.
Click Insert and publish the entry.
The data from which search engines generate expanded snippet, appear at the end of the article as a tie-in. In edit mode you can move them anywhere on the note.
How to use Plugins to Enhance the Functionality and Usability of a Resource
As noted above, some website owners on WordPress are addicted to install dozens or even hundreds of plugins. To avoid this error, start to increase functionality and improve usability not with plugins and by identifying the problems and tasks that you want to solve.
For example, if you want to create an online shop on WordPress, search plugins for eCommerce.
If you believe that the system’s navigation is not user friendly, search plugins that you can use to add bread crumbs to pages in your site, as well as links to related materials.
With the help of plugins you can add form fast communication with the owner of the website, display them in the sidebar list of most active commentators, to demonstrate to visitors the subscription form and solve other tasks.
Now all the URL of your website look humanly.
If you have survived a strong desire to improve the website, add social button to share your content on social networks. This can be achieved in different ways including through the use of plugins.
Select the ”Share Buttons” for Social plugin WordPress. It lets you publish buttons share the most popular social networks. Go to the Share menu Buttons to configure the plugin.
In the section “Main settings” specify the text you want to display before the buttons. Also select the types of pages where you want to display the button.
In the section Share -> settings, choose the button style and list of social networks, which buttons you want to see on the website.
Like section – settings, disable the “like” button, since they actually duplicate buttons share.
Disable the “like” button, because you need for site development rather than”likes”
How to install Analytic code by Google on WordPress
Designated subtitle problem is solved in different ways. For example, when you install the plugin All in One SEO Pack you are already hooked up to the tab resource for webmasters Google.
To register a website in Google Analytics, perform the following steps:
• Log in to your account, Add the analytics property.
• Enter the registration data of a site: title, URL, time zone. Click on the “get trackingID”.
• Install and activate Google Analytics by Yoast or similar plugin.
• On the plugin settings page, click the “sign up using your profile in Google. Copy the proposed code and paste it in the appropriate field.
• Select the required profile and save the changes to the analysis.
• Check whether the dimension code on the pages of the website. This can be done manually in by using source of the page. You can also check the status menu tracking Google Analytics tracking code administrator is the tracking code.
(Please note, Google Analytics requires a few hours to update status tracking).
Now you can track the effectiveness of your website in the Google Analytics interface. Some data are also available in the menu “Analytics – console administrative panel of WordPress.
How to make Posts and Pages
You take the good: configured/make website on WordPress and prepared him to publish content. Now you can create a static page and publish content on your blog.
How to create a Static page in WordPress
Follow such a course of action:
• Select “Add new page”.
• Select Edit mode: Visual or text.
• Add the page title and text.
• Add image. You can do this by using the menu “Add media”. In Append mode, specify the image file name and fill in the “alt” Attribute.
• Specify the title, description and keywords.
• If necessary, using the Add Schema menu.
• Specify the page attributes. You can select the parent page and serial number for the generated page.
• If you wish, set Featured post.
• Now you can view a page in preview or publish it immediately.
After publishing check display content. If necessary, edit the page.
Now the static page is ready
How to make a post on wordpress
To add a post, select “add new post”. Publication of the post is almost identical to the Create page.
Note the following nuances:
• Most templates supports multiple Posts formats.
• Choose the appropriate category for the publication. To create a category, use the appropriate menu.
• You can add to Post label/tags. If you use the plugin All in One SEO Pack but tags can be omitted.
You have created/make and configured the website to WordPress and have learned to publish content. Now you will find the most difficult and responsible work.
That site was effective, you should regularly create a quality and useful content for the audience. Engine capacity enough to implement virtually any project from resource to an online store.
By the way, if you have any questions, comments and suggestions related to the creation and configuration of the website, please write them in the comments.
You can also share experience with WordPress CMS, tell about your favorite plugins, point out the pros and cons of the most popular engine in the world.
If you stuck in any problem on how to make a website you can contact us for any WordPress Website Development Solutions at worksole. We will be much obliged to assist you in better way.